It’s finally Friday! I hope everyone enjoys their weekend. As for me, I’m heading up to Wheaton, then to New Bedford for Rick Britto’s funeral, then to Arlington to visit some of Tommy’s family. I had a good week, writing and working a lot, and I’m now counting down the days until I’m back at school.
Here are some Friday links for you!
- Smart, Pretty and Awkward is such a cute and useful site. Love the advice there!
- In the wake of a beloved professor’s death, I read Alana Shereen’s article about turning grief into growth. I especially like her advice to “honor yourself.”
- What’s so bad about a boy who wants to wear a dress? In this New York Times magazine feature, Ruth Padawer interviews many parents of gender-ambiguous children, or boys who identify themselves as boys but still want to wear dresses. She asks readers to ponder why it makes them uncomfortable to see a boy in a dress, but not as uncomfortable to see a girl tomboy. One person interviewed says that it’s shocking to see men dress up as women because women are seen as the lesser gender, and “Why would someone want to be the lesser gender?” Makes me squirm a bit. Great article, and quick to read even though it’s 8 pages long.
- If you believe in, support, look fondly on, hope for, and/or work towards equality of the sexes, yes, you are a feminist.
- Good advice on maintaining a balance between college and life from Nubby Twiglet.
- “Be fearless about being hated,” writes Susannah Breslin in an article about getting people to click on your links. As always, superb, autobiographical yet applicable advice.
- Are you a creative person? Do any of these tendencies apply to you?
- Want to know how to get noticed in the online universe? Start by being different!
- I’ve never been to Greece, but I’ve heard about it from my friends Vicky & Silly, and it seems like a beautiful, peaceful place. Sarah Wilson writes about her cleansing experience here.
- Hopefully, your self-perception isn’t killing your blog!
- And lastly, why the hell are people on the Internet so angry?!
Let me know what you think of the above links in the comments section below!